Communication Is

Communication is “the transmission of information, ideas, emotions, skills, etc., by the use of symbols- words, pictures, figures, graphs, etc.” (Berelson &Steiner, 1964).







Three Compliance Tactics of Communications-

The first compliance tactic that I think is effective is the Foot-in-the Door technique. The FTTD technique is commitment based and it usually starts out with a small request and builds to a larger related request. For example, a telemarketer called my home and asked if I would participate in a 15 minute survey about household products. I agreed and answered the 15 minute survey. The next day the telemarketer called again and asked if I would participate in a 50 question survey about household products and they would pay me $5.00 for my time. I agreed because I thought it would be as easy as the initial survey, but this survey ended up being one of the longest hours of my life and I swore that I would never participate in another survey. Some researchers have challenged the explanation of the FITD technique. Some people say that the self-perception theory is weak.

The second compliance tactic is Bait and Switch technique. The Bait and Switch is when someone is committed to buying one item, but when the item is replaced they end up buying another more expensive item. I have gone to a store because they had an item on sale and when I got there the item was sold out, so I decided to buy another similar but more expensive item. The types of people that are susceptible to this are the people who are committed to buying something no matter how much the cost. This technique could be improved if sales people would not lure the customers into the store under false pretenses.

The third compliance tactic is that’s-not- Al l technique. This technique is when someone offers the target product for a certain price and then they sweeten the deal by adding on an additional item for “free” or by lowering the price. For example, I’ve seen countless infomercials about different products and they are very enticing and then they tell you if you call and order within the next 15 minutes you will receive an additional item for free. This can be improved by initially offering the free gift and the lower price in the beginning. People who are susceptible to this are impulsive shoppers and bargain hunters.

No comments:

Post a Comment